Re: ORA-00445: background process "PMON" did not start after 120 seconds

From: Ora9989 <ora9989_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2002 06:51:59 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0211061501.a5ece96_at_posting.google.com>...
> ora9989_at_hotmail.com (Ora9989) wrote in message news:<88b7db56.0211060619.6f717fdd_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I have a wierd situation on my hands. We originally had relinked
> > oracle (8.1.7) under the root user in linux by accident and when the
> > database was started up, some of the processes were running as root.
> > A problem for obvious reasons. So we shutdown did some relinking with
> > the oracle user, changed some ownerships. Now when we try to start
> > the database, it times out and we get
> > ORA-00445: background process "PMON" did not start after 120 seconds
> > in one of the alert logs. Looking at a log I see that the startup
> > does read the init<SID>.ora file but we get no further output after
> > the bdump, udump and cdump locations get set.
> >
> > We also get the ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel error
> > but that is easily solved.
> >
> > I've all over for answers but have come up with nothing. I don't
> > believe that it is an issue with the SHMMAX values or anything like
> > that because the database instance was previously running ok and
> > nothing has changed.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions on the above problem would be greatly
> > appreciated. Has anyone else mistakenly linked and ran the db under
> > root? Solutions?
>
> Are you getting any weird ipcs errors or shared areas left around when
> you have the db shutdown (as shown by ipcs|grep ora)? What protection
> did you set the oracle executable to? Is PMON not starting or
> starting quickly then dying (maybe write a tight loop to grep ps)?
> Turn on trace debugging in the init.ora.
>
> jg

I don't get too much for error output. I do have shared areas left around when the db tries to start. This causes the ora-03113 error (which I end up clearing up using ipcrm). As for permissions, the oracle executable has -rwsr-s--x owned by oracle.

As for setting trace on, I've done that. I'm getting lots of dumps in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log directory. They all pretty much have the same output in each dump. Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 15:51:59 CET

Original text of this message