Re: auditing database

From: Vyas <answer_me_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:39:54 +0000 (UTC)

There are some third party tools, that you can find using Google. Use key words like SQL Server audit

However, you can build your own auditing system using triggers. This is discussed in detail with working examples, in the book, Transact-SQL Cookbook. For more information:
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/transact-sql_cookbook.htm

--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

"hh" <harry_ho_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi Guy,

At the moment we are evaluating a vendor application. The application
is VERY flexible, and in my opinion, too flexible in the sense that
control over critical system data is not available. Users can log in
and delete some system data and screw up the whole system.

Hence we want to have some kind of audit report on the database. It is
not provided by the vendor so we need to build it ourselves. Worse
still, we don't have any data dictionary or database schema, a lot of
guess work is required.

Has anyone face the same problem before? Is there any tool out there
which can help us to put the checking ourselves?

The vendor app uses a sybase database on solaris.

Thanks.