Re: convert Sybase to Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2002 16:49:23 -0800

Chang_Y_at_bls.gov (YHC) wrote in message news:<6b50d18.0210250802.5c9b72c7_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> If you have any experiences to convert from Sybase to Oracle, I'd
> like to hear from you.
> For example, Sybase has "timestamp" data type which is used to handle
> concurrent update. Does Oracle have any similar features, etc.
> Thanks.
>
> Yue-Hwa

If you have a bunch of custom stored procedures (and what do Sybase DBA's do but write custom stored procedures?), then you have to rewrite most of them.

You will need to understand the differences between the locking methodologies in the two DBs. Read the Concepts Manual which is available at http://technet.oracle.com . You may need to read the concurrency several times, it is not that complicated, but you will have to unlearn the Sybase. This will likely mean rewriting some apps, or accepting some poor performance trade-offs.

Most features of Sybase are available in Oracle, and many more are available in Oracle than Sybase. This can be a minus if you don't understand or care about these features.

You would be well-advised to get an experienced person available before any major conversions. Actually, many minor conversions too. I've seen people get real pissed off at Oracle, simply because there is so much more to understand.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
280, 0, "table %s is a temporary table\n"