How to dump blocks in a table? (Oracle 8.0.5)

From: bfogartyjr <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2002 08:35:44 -0800

I am going to change the freelist parameter of a table on my database. One resource suggests dumping 100 blocks just below the high-water mark, then finding the highest ITL count. I am to set my freelist value to that ITL count. I am on release 8.0.5 of Oracle. One note I found said to dump blocks using command Alter System Dump Datafile, but that command does not appear in the documentation for 8.0.5. I guess it is in a later release.

I have three questions:

  1. What tool might I use to dump the 100 blocks?
  2. How do I identify the high-water mark in the table so I know what blocks to dump?
  3. How do I identify the ITL value in each block?

Thank you,
Bill Fogarty
DBA, Georgia Ports Authority Received on Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:35:44 CET

Original text of this message