Re: Memory usage

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_bertbear.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:16:54 GMT

Jan,

Are you using this for personal usage? I suspect this is the case when you have a system with only 256 MB, but some Window boxes are small.

Oracle take so much because of the direction the programmers took in using buffers to hold the database data. In a production/active database, the best place for frequently used data is in memory. Hence, this direction by the programmers. I just rolled off a contract client had 2 AIX machines each with 10 GB of RAM (the production instance on one box; the other box having test and development instances). The only application running on these boxes was the Oracle database.

This direction while good for production/highly active systems is NOT good for lightly used personal systems. This is the reason for my first question.

So to be honest, to tell you how to optimize your RAM really requires understanding the purpose of the base, whatelse is on the machine, and knowing the release.

I run 9.2.0.1 (Oracle 9i Release 2) and use it for keeping track of personal and professional stuff. My system is a Dell laptop at 512 MB and I run Oracle normally at 94 MB (VMSize = 128 MB). I find 9i takes more RAM than 8i, BTW.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram