Re: insufficient Privileges

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 00:31:02 -0800

hari_om_at_hotmail.com (Hari Om) wrote in message news:<d1d5ebe4.0210281333.2f51c725_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Experts:
>
> I have my Oracle DB Set up on IBM AIX Server.
> I have installed Oracle Client on my Win XP System
>
> When I start my Oracle Enterprise Manager from my Cleint PC with following data:
> --------------------------------
> Username=system
> Passowrd=manager
> Connect as: SYSDBA
> --------------------------------
>
> the System throws "ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient Privileges" - wonder why!
> Later when I connect as: NORMAL - it just works fine.
>
> Does anyone know how to eliminate that Error.
>
> THANKS!
this is dependent on the init.ora parameter remote_login_passwordfile, which can have three values none : only internal has sysdba privilege shared: internal and sys have sysdba privilege exclusive: any account can be granted sysdba privilege, the passwords of sys and internal are identical.
So by default SYSTEM doesn't have sysdba privilege. If you want SYSTEM to have sysdba privilege (which is IMO a *bad* idea, as this account is easy to guess), you need to edit the init.ora and bounce the database.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker,
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 09:31:02 CET

Original text of this message