Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

From: Odd Morten Sveås <odd.morten.sveas_at_accenture.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 10:55:41 -0800

hari_om_at_hotmail.com (Hari Om) wrote in message news:<d1d5ebe4.0210281511.42e671ca_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Experts:
>
> I have installed Oracle DB on my IBM AIX 5.1 Server. On my Client
> machines (which are windows ofcourse!) I have installed Oracle Client.
>
> Later when I start my SQLPLUS and enter following:
> connect gauri/khar_at_gaurikits as sysdba
> I get following error:
> ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
> Where->
> Username=gauri
> password=khar
> SID = gaurikits
>
> My TNSNAMES.ORA file (on client) has following:
>
> GAURIKITS =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST=my_domain_name)(POSRT=1521)))
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = gaurikits)
> (SERVER = DEDICATED))
> )
>
> Can anyone tell me how to eliminate that Error? However, when I
> connect with following String, I DO NOT get any Error. It just works
> fine:
> connect gauri/khar_at_gaurikits
>
> THANKS!
Hi
Is this a copy of your tnsnames.ora file or have you retyped it in here?
If your tnsnames.ora file have )(POSRT=1521))) there wil bee an problem, it shall of course be PORT.

Are you in an other application when you do: > connect gauri/khar_at_gaurikits ?

The connect statement is an sql*plus statement, how did you connect to the dba in the first place?

Regards
Odd M Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 19:55:41 CET

Original text of this message