Re: how does tns go over tcp/ip?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:08:36 GMT

It goes over whatever protocol (tcp/ip, appletalk, spx, etc) as packets. I imagine if you capture the packets you could probably decode them. I don't believe Oracle publishes the structure of the packets, but things like a network sniffer (from Network Associates I think) know how to read them. (the unencrypted ones) You can turn on tracing and see the packets dumped to disk as the client (or server) talks to each other.

Usually the clients talk to the server on port 1521 if that helps. Jim