Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 10:21:52 -0700

In article <396cc940.0210250239.1d1ae310_at_posting.google.com>, ashrivastava_at_auriga-insys.com says...

>Hi,
>
>We have a 8i database named 'alphaDB' on a win2k machine named
>'Alpha', another 9i database named 'betaDB' on another win2k machine
>named 'Beta', an 8i client on a win98 machine named 'Gamma'.
>
>I was working on a stored procedure that would parse and then transfer
>data from a a couple of tables from alphaDB to betaDB. This stored
>procedure is to be executed from 'Beta', i.e. from the 9i database.
>Tables on 'Alpha' are accessed via database link.
>
>Earlier everything was working fine, but now whenever I try to access
>a particular table named emp_inf, I get following error:
>
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>
>Interesting thing is that I can access other tables without any
>problem, I can even access the very same table through sqlplus, but
>this problem occurs only when I try to access that particular table.
>
>I guess that possibly there is certain problem with the server, but
>which server I should be concentrating on? The one where script is
>being executed or the one where the table is existing?
>Any suggestions....
>
>With Regards,
>Anand
The problem is probably occurring on the server where the script is executing, given the error. I suggest contacting Oracle support and asking them if a fix already exists for the bug.

Prior to doing that, though, see if there are any trace files on Beta. If there are, have them at the ready when you call Support. They'll want to know what's in them.

                                         Rick

                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.