Re: Still experiencing Auto-shtudown problem on RedHat 8.0

From: Nelson Baumgarten <nelson7_at_optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:47:19 GMT

Mark;

           I experimented a little more and looked at outputs on my system. I also am having problems with oracle shutting down. I tried various different run levels for shutdown and they don't work. Startup does ok at rc5. I also noticed the same problem with the listener shutting down as well. I must tell you where I used to work I was running Oracle under the HPUX operating system and had similar problems there as well. What I did there because we kicked off backups at specific times and never shutdown our

systems. I ran the shutdown thru a CRON that I set up under the oracle
account.  I only recently installed Linux and Oracle 9i as I told you
earlier. I ran version 8.06 on HPUX. I suspect that the problem might be
that oracle when it gets a terminate from the system can't handle hit and the various processes just terminate when the system kills them without any error handling to shutdown the instance. When Oracle starts up it will repair itself during startup and be ok after. "Mark" <mark_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:3DB55ADD.5010104_at_nospam.com...
> Thanks again Nelson. When I run the script manually I run it as root.
> The oracle user's environment is not getting set in root's profile.
> When I su - oracle I get the correct environment without --login. Bash
> is the oracle user's shell. Also, I should mention again that the
> database does startup automatically, and properly from this link in
> /etc/rc5.d:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 16 19:26 S29dbora -> ../init.d/dbora
>
> You'll notice in my dbora script, the oracle user gets su'd to in the
> same way in the 'start' section as it does in the 'stop' section.
>

> Nelson Baumgarten wrote:
> > Mark;
> > One question you say that when you manually run the script it
> > works.. What account are you running it from. Is it root. Assuming that
 it
> > is are you setting the oracle environment in roots profile. If you are
 that
> > could be why when you run the script it will work. roots login exports
 out
> > the environment settings. I am no expert but I saw that if you do an su
> > without the --login my Oracle environ would not get set. I experimented
 in
> > the oracle account by typing bash and then checking the environment.
 Thats
> [...]
> > type --login the login profile will not execute. There are times where
 you
> > will want to change your environment and not run the login. When a file
 in
> > any rc begins with a Captal S the system sees that as a start command
 and
> > sends the command with the argument of Start to the file you run. When
 the
> > system sees a K is sends the word stop..
> > I also tried writing my own script as well and it would not work because
 of
> > shelling I mentioned above.
> > "Mark Nunes" <markn_at_san.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Thanks Nelson. I do realize that su - gets a user's environment. In
> >>fact, in my script I set ORA_OWNER=oracle and then su - $ORA_OWNER.
> >>Oracle's .bash_profile is properly configured to set the ORACLE_SID,
> >>ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME. $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in my PATH.
> >>$ORACLE_HOME/bin is where dbshut resides. dbshut is called by the stop
> >>section of dbora. I should mention again that when I manually run dbora
> >>stop, the database does shutdown. So I know that the oracle user's
> >>environment is being used, or else it wouldn't know where to look for
> >>dbshut, and the db wouldn't shutdown. You mention that you stop Oracle
> >>from rc5.d as well. I'm a little shaky on the sysVinit stuff. Do links
> >>beginning with S get 'start' issued to their corresponding scipts when
> >>you switch to a particular run level(in your case, run level 5), and
> >>links beginning with a K get issued a 'stop' to their corresponding
> >>scripts when you exit that run level? I have pasted in my dbora script.
> >> Perhaps you might see something that I'm missing.
> >>

> >>/etc/init.d/dbora
> >>
> >>#!/bin/sh
> >>#
> >>#
> >>echo "Oracle 9i auto start/stop"
> >>
> >>ORA_OWNER=oracle
> >>ORA_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0
> >>
> >>case "$1" in
> >>'start')
> >>
> >>echo -n "Starting Oracle9i: "
> >>su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart
> >>
> >>echo -n "Starting the Listener for 9i: "
> >>su - $ORA_OWNER -c "${ORA_HOME}/bin/lsnrctl start"
> >>
> >>touch /var/lock/subsys/oracle9i
> >>echo
> >>;;
> >>
> >>'stop')
> >>echo -n "Shutting Oracle9i: "
> >>su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbshut
> >>
> >>echo -n "Shutting down Listener for 9i: "
> >>su - $ORA_OWNER -c "${ORA_HOME}/bin/lsnrctl stop"
> >>
> >>rm -f /var/lock/subsys/oracle9i
> >>echo
> >>;;
> >>
> >>'restart')
> >>
> >>echo -n "Restarting Oracle9i: "
> >>$0 stop
> >>$0 start
> >>echo
> >>;;
> >>
> >>*)
> >>echo "Usage: oracle9i {start | stop | restart }"

 This
 ORACLE_SID etc.

> > help

 My