Re: Creating A User

From: Darrell Blake <redneon_at_linuxmail.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:08:52 +0100

Yeah I'm getting error messages. I've just tried logging in to system with manager as the password but I'm getting the same error message. It's...

ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

I'm not entering anything for the host, would this be the problem? I've tried entering the name of the machine which is Laptop but I get the same message.

Darrell

"iulian" <iulian_ilies_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:P6Ur9.11224$Q3S.3241_at_news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> I assume you are at home and have already setup the environment (Oracle
> Server/Client).
> If you're talking about university lab you should ask their DBA for
> assistance.
>
> First time you should be able to log in as
> user: "system"
> password: "manager" (default password assigned at setup)
>
> When you're loged in as system (or another user with DBA privelleges)
> you'll be able to create a new user using CREATE USER statement
> Then you should grant it at least connect provilleges so you'll be able to
> log in as it later.
>
> Anyway, what are the error messages, if any. May be there are other
> connecting problems.
>
> iulian
>

> "Darrell Blake" <redneon_at_linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I've just started doing oracle at university and at
 the
> > moment we're just using the SQL Plus program. I've installed SQL Plus on
 my
> > machine with any dependancies it had but I can't log on because I don't
 know
> > how to create a user for it. I can't even set a password for SYSTEM.
 I've