Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle?

From: Andrew Hamm <ahamm_at_mail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:40:10 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Assuming Simon's questions are sincere ... why is it that no one is
> honestly dealing with each and every one of them and providing
> guidance? I was really hoping one person would deal, point-by-point
> with his posting. The answers so far have ranged from insulting to
> non-responsive which I would take, were I Simon, as a push toward
> Oracle.

I agree with your sentiments about the agressive nature of the responses. Even trolls can be better dealt with by out-smarting them.

Since XPS contains the extra high-performance features for massive performance gains on massive databases running on massive hardware, most of us ordinary foot soldiers don't have experience with that. Obnoxio just gave a decent response, with only a few unanswered questions. I was hoping Jack Parker might respond since he's the best-known XPS master on our newsgroup; I didn't know Tim was an XPS master (according to OTC's hint) but if he is, yes, it's a pity he didn't respond with an easy refutation that would gazump the alleged troll. The bonus there is, if the poster WASN'T a troll (doubtful) then he would have received his answer too.

Best advice is indeed to get an IBM Informix pre-sales team in to show solutions, answer questions and provide more realistic performance measures than obsolete TPC's. I've got to agree in hindsight that a newsgroup is a really silly place to post such questions when there are pre-sales teams just itching for a chance to show off their technology and answer all questions. Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 01:40:10 CEST

Original text of this message