Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle?

From: Andrew Hamm <ahamm_at_mail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:48:58 +1000

Simon M. wrote:
> Well, what can I say??? Didn't mean to start WWIII guys! First of,
> thanks to Daniel for posting the only useful response. To the others,
> I can assure you that I don't work for Oracle or any marketing company
> or whatever. I've picked up a large DW project that has been mangled
> in the past and I'm trying to find out some of the root causes. Of
> course I'm going to IBM as well to get their feedback but as I've had
> some good help from this group before, I thought that maybe someone
> would have some relevant experience or could help to set me and the
> team here straight.
>
> We've tried to get some experienced resource in to help us out but out
> here in Australia there are no appropriate skills. None. We've tried.
> It's a last gasp for us... I'd love to get the thing working as it's
> intended but at most we've been able to read the manual, make
> observations on performance and draw our own conclusions - which from
> the feedback, seem to be fundamentally wrong. No-one has pointed out
> why, but not to worry, we'll keep trying.
>
> Oh, completely agree about the 'why are you running XPS on one node?'
> comments. That is what we inherited and we don't understand either...
> if someone could give me the $$$ then I'd go out and buy more servers
> etc. but that ain't going to happen in a hurry.
>
> Our feeling at the moment is that we need a db for which there are DBA
> skills available on the open market in our country. At the moment, we
> can't see what's going on in XPS and we can't see that changing...
>
> Sorry to waste anyone's time and feel free to ignore the thread!
>
> Cheers,
> Simon.

Ummm, only useful response was posted by Daniel? Now you are really confusing me. For a start, OTC posted answers to just about all your questions (excluding the ones where he needed more info from you), and I've tried to be a calming voice for what it's worth. All I saw from Daniel was a simple line about the crankiness as "a push towards oracle". I saw zero technical response from him insofar as answering the Informix technical questions you posed.

So if Daniel's words are the only useful response for you, it really does come into question what response you are really after. One that tells the world to use Oracle? A useful response indeed in the light of all your technical questions???

Anyway, I know for a fact that there is sufficient skills at Australian Informix to answer all your questions, and plenty of willingness on the part of that staff too. I also know a bloke who was very contracting very busily with warehousing, including use of XPS, although I don't know where he is now. E-mail me directly if you want his name (if you are lucky he's still contracting) and maybe you'll be able to track him down. Come to think of it, I'm sure the guys at Informix (Chris Chilcott for a start) know how to find him if he's anywhere to be found. I've even overheard other names with XPS skills who could help you independently, and once again the Ifx guys will know them and will probably be able to pass on their contact details too.

email me at

    ahamm sanderson net au

with all the usual _at_ and . characters thrown in and i'll give you that contact name to track down. Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 04:48:58 CEST

Original text of this message