RE: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle?

From: Rob Vorbroker <robv_at_linux.vcicentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:26:03 -0400

See comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-informix-list_at_iiug.org
[mailto:owner-informix-list_at_iiug.org]On Behalf Of Obnoxio The Clown Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 9:55 AM To: informix-list_at_iiug.org
Subject: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle?

Andrew Hamm wrote:
> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>
>>To be honest, it really doesn't look like anyone in your team knows
>>XPS, can I recommend that you employ someone who does, even if it's
>>just for an initial learning curve. Try jparker at artentech dot com
>>or tim at datad dot com .
>>

> hmmm - would that be the tim which previously burnt this bridge before
 he'd
> even read the map???
>
> How's about RedBrick - you've played with that. Will it be worthy on a
> single node for his app?

Depends on if they have a star schema. If they have, RedBrick will be a good fit, if they haven't.... <puke>

Rob:
It (Red Brick) is what it is and does what it does and very well. It is NOT an OLTP database - If you have a Star Schema, even a SnowFlake, config for your Data Warehouse it works fantastic.

If you have a joint OLTP/DW config - use something else. You wouldn't hammer with a penknife would you?

Rob Vorbroker Received on Wed Oct 16 2002 - 19:26:03 CEST

Original text of this message