Re: Help ... NVarchar2 Question

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 11:15:49 -0700

I would say do a search on NVARCHAR2 and unicode at this NG or the ORACLE Metallink. It is a big topic, so you can not catch all the issues with one shot.
Go slow. Read and test, read and test. And I mean test with real multi-lingual data. Only by testing with real multi-byte characters data will you be able to identify problems early. For example, with UTF8, you may have to triple the size a varchar2 column to accomodade non-English characters. As these characters can range from 1 to 3 bytes, but then you have to consider the size limit of a varchar2 or char. To process the data properly in a stored procedure, you may also have to triple the size of the variables in PL/SQL.

  • Jusung Yang

> > > I have the following table:
> > >
> > > Create Table myTest ( fmTestColumn NVARCHAR2(20) )
> > >
> > > Does the NVARCHAR2 designate this columns as a character column that can
> > > store UNICODE characters? If not how should I define my columns
 VARCHAR2?