Re: Why Varying Arrasy and Nested Tables?

From: Russell Wolfe <wolfer_at_peak.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:48:20 -0700

OK, I read the article. It ws helpful, but only sortof.

In the early days of Oracle there were frequent comparisons in the literature between the relational model and network, hierarchical and other models. A very key difference was that the older database models were optimized for, or even restricted to, data access along pre-defined paths. This was generally fine for pre-defined reports, but terrible for anything else. By joining tables at the time a query is run, the relational model allowed far more flexibility in running ad-hoc queries.

It appears to me a step backwards to nest one table within another. It looks to me a lot like a retreat to the old pre-defined access path days.

tnx for your responses
rww

On 9 Oct 2002 15:56:25 -0700, JusungYang_at_yahoo.com (Jusung Yang) wrote:

>This link provides some comparisons between relational based and
>object based model. Read up what the author has to say about both in
>the conclusion at the then end of the article.
>
>http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/00-jul/index.html?o40O8i.html
>

>- Jusung Yang
>
>> I'm struggling with the pros and cons of this design choice. Do you
>> have a real-world example of how a Varray or Nested Table has improved
>> a database design?

Russ Wolfe
wolfer_at_peak.org Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 00:48:20 CEST

Original text of this message