Re: oracle + java = slow?

From: bung ho <bung_ho_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2002 11:06:47 -0700

am i correct in assuming that that rewritten connection string is so that you can force a dedicated server process for your jdbc connection?

if that's the case, i would hazard a guess that your problems would be alleviated if you simply turned off MTS on the server side unless you have determined that you actually need it. in this case, you're not anyway, as you explicitly specify DEDICATED. there are weird problems sometimes with jdbc thin driver and MTS, and it's usually LAN/host configuration. if you do need MTS, one thing you might want to check is what the client and server machines know themselves, and each other, as. IP address doesn't help, as during the "handshake," the server actually sends back its own name (what it thinks its own name is) to the client, and the client will then use that name to make the actual connection--so at this point in the process it is effectively ignoring the hostname you specify in your jdbc url. this is my understanding of it, anyway.

of course, if you're not actually using MTS on the server side, ignore me completely.

ps -- these "other clients" that are slow in connecting ... are they also jdbc thin clients? or something else?

"G ry" <ducateg_at_info.bt.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ansd4s$9in$1_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>...
> > There is a problem. No question about that. But how you can leap
 lightyears to
> > come to the conclusion that because it takes 15 minutes there is a problem
 with
> > Oracle is truly amazing to me. You must know that if it took more than a
 few
> > seconds for most people this usenet group would be full of complaints. And
 since
> > it isn't the problem clearly rests with your implementation.
> All I am saying is: where do you look if you encounter that sort of problem.
> With regards to my implementation, well, it looks pretty straightforward to
> me.
>

> > I would suggest that you start at the beginning and work forward. If you
 are
> > going to post here again it would be helpful if you provided even the
 minimum
> > amount of information so that someone could help you. Here are a few
> > suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Hardware and RAM
 p4 1ghz+ RAM 1gb+
> > 2. Network

 LAN
> > 3. Operating system and version

 WIN2k server (for the Oracle server) win 2k for the client machines
> > 4. Oracle database version and edition
 Oracle 9