C interface: Pro*C/C++, OCI, Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 integration

From: Jacob Laursen <jlu_at_no-spam-kmd.dk>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:35:04 +0200

Hi.

Which interface is recommended to use when communicating with an Oracle database from Microsoft Visual C++? Currently I use embedded SQL in Pro*C/C++, but have a feeling that this method is obsolete (and a scary feeling that Oracle might even drop support for it). Before changing a lot of code, I'd like to know if OCI is the way to go now? As I understand, this would make it possible to explicitly supply a handle to a transaction object, thus making it possible to share a transaction object with a PowerBuilder application.

Also, I'd like to know what's possible with the Oracle support in Visual C++. What do the graphical tools require, what can they do and what do they generate? Currently all my code is written in plain C, i.e. no C++ or MFC.

--
Jacob Laursen (jlu_at_kmd.dk)