Re: JDBC and Oracle

From: Aslak Poppe <aslak_at_poppe.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:28:49 GMT

OK. I haven't looked at any BM test for the different JDBC drivers. You may very well be right that there are faster connectors out there. But my point is that the driver is probably not the bottleneck in the application.
First of all, establishing the connection is the most resource consuming operation. This part you solve by using connection pooling. The sql query istelf in most cases pritty light.
But you should first of all look in to issues as database tuning, correct indexing, chaching of result objects (for instance - a lot of apps have a lot of queries for data that doesnt change much. Like looking up prices etc.). By chaching these you strip the application for a lot of overhead. You may also work with sql tuning if you have complex queries. Check out some of the tools Quest Software have for optimalization of Oracle db's.

"Thomas Kellerer" <no_address_at_gmx.net> skrev i melding news:MPG.17fcd996d74dc0ad989689_at_news...