Announcement: Query Express Data Portal -- Feedback Needed

From: Tom Hilbig <thilbig_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:35:28 -0400

I have developed an application that is a data query portal and library. It is totally web-based (using Apache or IIS4) and can be used for developing and deploying database queries/reports to a central server.

I used this during my last IT contract where it allowed my client to quickly pull out data from their Oracle systems using only their web browser. It started as a report prototyping tool, giving my client very quick access to their data in simple reports. It allowed the users to quickly become familiar with their data, and it was very popular in the company because of its ease of use and speed.

A couple of features:

  • totally web-server based: database results are output in HTML table or native Excel in a single click
  • all database protocols and passwords are kept on central web server; no client software required
  • the server maintains a central query library (an end-user would never enter SQL). Navigation of the library and other documents are provided.
  • output in XML with support for XSL (stylesheets) allow for creation of professional looking reports
  • data stored in binary format can be delivered to the browser (i.e. Word or PDF documents stored within a database)
  • security restricts users to access only the databases they are supposed to, and to run or develop queries and administer the server

I have a live demonstration system running, accessing separate databases and plenty of sample reports. I have write-protected the demonstration reports, but there are user-private sections where anyone can create and publish their own reports.

I would appreciate any feedback on the application. Once the software has reached a stable level, I will package it and make if available for downloading to a larger test group.

The live system is at http://www.queryexpress.com

Tom Hilbig
thilbig_at_sympatico.ca
(905) 824-7467 Received on Tue Sep 24 2002 - 18:35:28 CEST

Original text of this message