Re: Two Versions of Oracle / Common Database Access

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2002 08:07:12 -0700

"Ognjen Antonic" <ogo_at_ogo.homeip.net> wrote in message news:<q8Lj9.2088$EM5.71214_at_news.siol.net>...
> You can not use the same database under different versions of Oracle
> binaries. If you succeeded, than you are just lucky. Database created under
> 9.0.1 binaries should be mounted only with those binaries or problems
> usually arise.
> Oracle recommends to use different ORACLE_HOMEs for different Oracle
> releases on same machine.
>
> If you want to use your data in 9.0.1 with 9.2.0, then do export under 9.0.1
> and import under 9.2.0.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Ognjen Antonic - Ogo
>

> "B. Kloppt" <b_kloppt_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > i've seen postings about this subject a few times yet i never saw any
> > real answer to my question.
> > i have oracle 9.0.1 and oracle 9.2.0 installed on the same linux
> > machine.
> > both reside in their respective directories:
> > /opt/oracle/product/9.0.1/
> > /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/
> > using a script i can change the environment to the version i want to
> > use.
> > my ORACLE_HOME variable, among others, is then set accordingly.
> > the problem is this:
> > i started with version 9.0.1 and created a few databases that i now
> > want to use with the 9.2.0.
> > instead of using exp and imp to export the data out of the old and
> > import into the new, i would assume there would be an easier way.
> > since the database files seem to reside in their respective
> > directories under /opt/oracle/admin/, i don't see how they could be
> > version dependent.
> > how would i go about using the databases i created under 9.0.1 with
> > 9.2.0?
> > is there anyone who could direct me to some clear documentation or
> > perhaps give me step-by-step instructions?
> >
> > i would be very grateful for any help.
> >
> > thanks,

Check out patching(Upgrading) an Oracle 9i database in Metalink

This is what I do in 8i the procedure might be similar in 9i

1)Define the new Oracle home and sid of the database you want to PATCH/upgrade (basically that is what you are doing)
2)Include _system_trig_enabled=false in your startup(initSID.ora) file 3)Alter session set events '10520 trace name context forever,level 10' (*This is for version 8)
run
catlog.sql
catproc.sql
utlrp.sql
alter session set events'10520 trace name context forever off'; remove _system_trig_enabled from initSId.ora 4)Restart database
Sometimes I relink Oracle executables just in case Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Tue Sep 24 2002 - 17:07:12 CEST

Original text of this message