Re: Oracle database synchronisation with multiple "islands"

From: JayGonzales <jay_at__removeit_syncdek.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:41:30 +0000

Ger-
We've built similar system, but with SQL back-end, and a desktop application for mobile "island" clients to have full control of the data, including add/delete/change. The sync happens directly, or by email, so the user can remain an "island" as long as they want.

The trick is dealing with potential field-level conflicts when there are distributed copies. We built code to resolve this automatically, or manually via an interface associated with the records in question.

An easy route is to check-out/check-in the data, or alternately make it read-only, but then either home office users or mobile users can't intelligently work with it.

I've heard Oracle 11i has some replication function to do this, although I'm not sure of the support status.

Someone mentioned Siebel having this built in-- Do you have any more info about this functionality?