Oracle database synchronisation with multiple "islands"

From: Ger Moroney <macaroni55_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2002 12:27:56 -0700

Hi,

I am working for a customer who has a requirement for a software system which is proving to be a challenge - but an interesting one !

The application accesses data on an oracle database and is to be used by management in the office and when travelling. When travelling, users will download a portion of the database and work in an "island" mode. When the users return to the office, there needs to be an option on the application to synchronise the data on the island with that on the database.

With a number of users in the office and travelling, I'm debating with myself the best way to synchronise the data ? Should tables copied to a particular island be changed to read-only until resync'd ? How should I go about such a process ? Anyone got any idea if the RDBMS (Oracle 8.1.7) has some neat tools I could use to make this process slick ?

Any advice about this one would be most appreciated ! Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 21:27:56 CEST

Original text of this message