mview and ora - 12079

From: Anand <ashrivastava_at_auriga-insys.com>
Date: 4 Sep 2002 23:56:28 -0700

Hi,

I am using Oracle 8.1.6 with Win2k.
I am trying to create a materialized view using following command

 create MATERIALIZED VIEW
 mytable_mview
 REFRESH ON COMMIT
 as
 select * from mytable

In turn I recieve following error:
ORA-12079: snapshot options require COMPATIBLE parameter to be 8.1.0.0.0 or
greater

If i remove the refresh option and issue following command then the mview is created succesfully

 create MATERIALIZED VIEW
 mytable_mview
 REFRESH ON COMMIT
 as
 select * from mytable

I looked up for the error and found following info: Cause: The following snapshot options require 8.1 or higher compatibility setting:ON COMMIT ON PREBUILT TABLE BUILD DEFERRED NEVER REFRESH ENABLE QUERY REWRITE
Action: Shut down and restart with an appropriate compatibility setting.

I am not able to figure it out, what is a compatibility setting and how do we specify it?
Please help

Regards,
Anand Received on Thu Sep 05 2002 - 08:56:28 CEST

Original text of this message