Multinode APPL_TOP with hostnames with - and _ in their name

From: Stein <sas_at_NO.SPAM.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:41:33 GMT

Hello.

Wanted setup:
Multinode O.A. 11i installation, with 8i DB and O.A. 11i on one host, and O.A. 11i and webserver on another host. Hostnames have a "-" in them. HP-server with HP-UX 11i.

I have been made aware of a possible problem with "-" or "_" in the hostname when having a multinode O.A. installation. "_" is not a problem, but we _do_ have a "-" in our hostnames. The problem was supposed to consern the APPL_TOP, either the variable or the combined hostname+APPL_TOP.

We have been unable to find collaborating documentation, either describing the problem, or describing a sollotion/work-around.

We have got one log from an adpatch session wich shows how this can be a problem, but no _real_ evidence.

However: we do have an alias without a "-", but still the actual hostname contains a "-".

Have anyone of you a more specific description of this problem? Do you know if using an alias will work? Does anyone have a workaround, fix, _other than_ renaming our hosts? Any other information would also be appreciated.

--
Stein