Re: web app gets max processes about every three months

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2002 07:39:12 -0700

jreesmf_at_mac.com (Joel Rees) wrote in message news:<f0d5086.0208060128.6c1bcf24_at_posting.google.com>...
> I found this description of vulnerabilities in Oracle, and the fourth
> DOS sounds like it might cause the process allocation count to
> suddenly rise:
>
> http://bvlive01.iss.net/issEn/delivery/xforce/alertdetail.jsp?id=advise82
> http://www.iss.net/security_center/static/6716.php
>
> The vulnerability uses the ability to send a command over multiple
> packets to hang the listener. If this would cause the process count to
> rise suddenly, it would be a possible source of the problems I'm
> having.
>
> Would appreciate opinions.
>
> I wrote in message news:<f0d5086.0208050239.31d4911b_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Wrote a question about this about six weeks back, still looking for
> > answers.
> >
> > We have a web app, Oracle on a dedicated machine, php and apache on a
> > separate machine, and three times in the past eight months, our php
> > logs tell us that oracle has got maximum processes allocated, and it
> > stays there until the customer resets the Oracle server. Host system
> > on each machine is MSW2k.
> >
> > Analyzing the logs does reveal the customer testing the site on one
> > occasion, otherwise, there don't seem to be any patterns. See some
> > apparent web-bot activity, some possible cheap tries at breaking in,
> > but no evidence of actual intrusion or DOS attacks. (Maybe. I just
> > remembered mention of one DOS attack that some versions of Oracle are
> > supposedly vulnerable to that I haven't checked against.)
> >
> > Anyone for whom these sort of symptoms rings a bell, please post me
> > some more clues.
> >
> > So far, my searching seems to indicate that MSW2k should simply be
> > expected to go south every now and then, and that once in three months
> > is not that often for a re-boot.
> >
> > (One reply to my previous post:)
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=f0d5086.0206261901.372e6725%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Djoel%2Brees%2Bdatabase%26meta%3D
> >
> > One post I dug up elsewhere suggested a dedicated swap drive, with
> > swap min=max so that the swap files don't get re-allocated and
> > fragmented.
> >
> > Would sure appreciate some more suggestions.
> >
> > Joel Rees

Max processes if I understand you properly will be an Oracle tuning Parameter
(processes) which has to be in the init.ora file.I have had a similar problem and all I did was to up the processes in the init<SID>.ora file
and that the problem was taken care of.
HTH
Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 16:39:12 CEST

Original text of this message