Re: Intermedia Catalog Indexing

From: Richard <richard_at_stoparczyk.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:27:53 -0400

Your right, I was a bit brief. Running under an NT 4 platform IIS serving an ASP front end to Oracle 8.1.7 on a seperate server. The nature of the data is text in a row. Averages about 200 characters. Never more than 300, and often less than 100. However it may be in one of two languages, english or french.

My sorts are by one date field (and relevance using scoring) however there are a number of small fields (booleans, integers and dates) that the user may use to filter the results. Most choose not to. Again, I am new at integrating text indexing in Oracle.

You mentioned in your reply using ctxsrv as a service and doing real time indexing. I am new to text and Oracle and didn't believe that this was possible. Would this be using the context index functions? I had assumed from the docs (and the set up that I inherited) that indexing had to be performed at a set point in time.

My restriction right now is to not spend $$$ (like I haven't heard that before) so I assumed I was limited to what Intermedia 8.1.7 offered, which seemed to be Context Indexs which could not be built dynamically and Catalog Indexes, which could be built dynamically.

Off to reread documentation. And thanks for the help.

Richard.