Re: is there any standard timing for knowing the efficient select query?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2002 07:12:09 -0700

sohelcsc_at_yahoo.com (Leader) wrote in message news:<b1a93c73.0208042159.23355cf5_at_posting.google.com>...
> HI,
> I want to know about the select statement performance.
> Suppose i want to select 1000 rows , what time it should take?
> Is there any standard timing for that.
>

> hoque

There is not standard time because the response time is dependent on the disk array in use, its cache size if any, the distribution of the data, the speed of the CPU's, the amount of available memory, and the load on the server machine plus the configuration parameters of Oracle. The answer also depends on where the result set is going as download speed to the client may be a factor. And where we are at it we can throw in sequential or indexed access to the row set.

In general the time should be pretty small. I dumped 1000 rows of about 76 bytes each to my screen in under 17 seconds. When I set the headings off and dumped another table the time dropped to just under 1 second and a repeat of the first query also finished in under 1 second. So the final answer depends on a log of different factors that vary from system to system.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 16:12:09 CEST

Original text of this message