Re: Slow response on Database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2002 14:54:08 -0700

visvid <simon_at_visavideo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3D47A56B.7040304_at_visavideo.co.uk>...
> Hi,
>
> From either an Oracle command or Unix command line , is there a way of
> seeing if a Dbase is running slowly ?
>
> The only command I have used is : SVRMGR> select count (*) from
> v$session; just to give me an idea of how many users are connected ?
>

> Any other advise , would be gratefully appreciated
>

> Regards
>

> visvid

"Dbase is running slowly" is a very loaded statement. Meaning that there could be any number of reasons for this. Lousy network bandwidth, Not enough memory or processing power available to Oracle, incorrectly sized parameters in the init.ora file, poorly tuned SQL statements, bad database design etc etc.

Number of concurrent users may not be the sole reason for database running slow unless you have 1000 users connecting in dedicated server mode on a low end machine.

You would have to look at each area to see where the bottleneck is. Ofcourse there are certain tools at your disposal to make your job easier e.g. EXPLAIN PLAN, TKPROF etc to name a few to tune your SQL queries. However, a good DBA is the one who prevents this from happening in the first place by being proactive or correctly identifies the bottlenecks and provides timely solution. There is a lot at stake when your business requirement is to have 99.9% uptime, 24/7.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 23:54:08 CEST

Original text of this message