Re: Oracle & Clustering

From: Matthias Ress <matthias.ress_at_t-systems.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:00:40 +0200

Hi Gary,

which Oracle Version is in discussion? With 9i oracle introduced oracle dataguard which helps you a lot in automating the redolog shipping process. unfortunately most books about oracle discuss redolog shipping only in the last pages of the last chapter...

Cluster helps you only in case of physical errors - with redolog shipping you transfer the archived redologs to an different location and run a copy of the db there in online recovery mode - this db reads all redologs. if you need redolog shipping for desaster tolerance and you need all data then you must have synchronous mirroring of your online redologs to the remote site. hsg80 have an ACS 8.xP (Peer to peer) add on license which you need therefore. doing it in the same cabinet really doesnt make sense - except you want to have no dt solution but need a logical error free database)

contact oracle and compaq/hp - they have a lot of very good whitepapers of how to implement redolog shipping etc.

regards

Matthias Ress