Re: PL/SQL and SQL Navigator

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 29 Jul 2002 07:21:27 -0700

Pavel.Vet_at_volny.cz (Pavel Vetesnik) wrote in message news:<3657dfa4.0207290218.c11c33b_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> as you see, I am still beginner in using Oracle (ver 8.1.7.) and the
> SQL Navigator.
> I can run SQL commands in the Navigator without troubles. But as I
> found, I can't run the PL/SQL commands.
> For example I wanted to see, if a table exists. So I wrote this
> construction:
> ======================
> if exists (select 1 from user_tables where table_name='C_POLOZ') then
> begin
> select 1 from dual;
> else
> select 2 from dual;
> end if;
> ======================
> But I got ORA00900: Invalid SQL command
>
> As I learned, I may need to install a "procedural option". And I also
> learned (in http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=cs&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=36162906.493E9E01%40websoft.com.au)
> that this option can be installed running catproc.sql script.
>
> Frankly - I am quite afraid of running this, because it must be run
> with administrator's privileges and I don't know if it will not hurt
> our existing code.
> So my questions:
> (1) Is installing "procedural option" (catproc.sql) safe?
> (2) Will this really help me in running PL/SQL commands in SQL
> Navigator (SQL Editor Window).
> (3) Should I use another tool to write Pl/SQL scripts?
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Pavel

1 Yes. But likely it has already been installed. Re-installing won't do any harm provided you run catproc.sql using sql*plus, connected as sys. Any other user and you will have havoc. 2 Provided you enter code using correct pl/sql. 'If exists' does exist in t-sql, it doesn't exist in pl/sql. There is also no need to use it, as a non-existing table will raise an exception in your code. 3 Why? You should try to learn pl/sql and to read the pl/sql reference manual.
You shouldn't think pl/sql is the same as t-sql.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jul 29 2002 - 16:21:27 CEST

Original text of this message