Re: Backing up Databases

From: T R <trjunk01_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:46:39 GMT

export is a bad way of implementing a backup solution for a large db. it should be done as a secondary method of backing up and not the primary. the reason being, it is very inefficient and it takes a long time to import all the data back to restore if a problem arose.

RMAN (recovery manager) is should be used. it used to problematic but is pretty stable. this can also do incremental backups so this should reduce the time to perform the backups. also, recovery time is reduced. you can backup to a tape directly. check out the RMAN docs.