Re: Getting a Database List

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 05:39:44 GMT

Steve M said an MS SQL Server database is equivalent to an Oracle tablespace.
Steve M is incorrect. (His statement had nothing to do with how many databases a SQL server could or could not have; that issue is not discussed.) MS SQLServer does not have the Oracle concept of Schemas in a database.

Steve M should have said an MS Sql Server database is eqivalent or similar to an Oracle schema.

Tablespaces are different animals altogether. A tablespace is a logical method of storage. A tablespace consists of one or more physical files. A tablespace can have 0 or more schemas (eg a rollback or temp tablesspace doesn't really have a schema). Think of schemas as owners of database objects (eg tables, indexes, packages, procedures, functions, etc.) Whereas a tablespace can have 0 or many schemas and not only that a schema can be in 1 or more tablespaces.

MS calls their "schemas" databases and Oracle calls its database an instance which consists of many schemas or owners. Jim

"root" <root_at_localhost.localdomain> wrote in message news:ayp09.50621$uh7.6650_at_sccrnsc03...
> You're both wrong. SQL server supports up to 32000 datbases per instance.
> Each DB can have bocoup schemas. the first respondent was correct. Oracle
> does not lump databases under a server umbrella like the other systems.
> Each instance (unless you're running OPS or RAC) is the database.

> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> > No, the equivalent is a schema.
> > Jim
> > "Steve M" <steve.mcdaniels_at_vuinteractive.com> wrote in message
> >> The Oracle instance IS the database.
> >> The MS-SQL equivalent to "database" is TABLESPACE.
> >>
> >> As user SYSTEM:
> >>
> >> select name from V$TABLESPACE;
> >>

> >> "Lee" <lee_at_dev.null.com> wrote in message
 databases
 on