Re: job market for oracle developers?

From: Kevin Gillins <k.gillins_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:18:43 GMT

"Ed-D" <Ed-D_at_despammed.com> wrote in message news:zcS%8.14965$Mb.14618_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> "Christopher Boyle" <cboyle_at_hargray.dot.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Another thing I'm considering is just sticking to Project Management.
 If
> > > can code PL/SQL and UNIX (which I will be able to do shortly) along
 with
 my
> > > knowledge of HTML, JavaScript and CSS I could be very "hands-on"
 indeed
> :)
> >

> > Please rethink that sentence. I have dealt with a project manager who
> > thought they should be hands on. It was a disaster. If you are going to
> > write code,be a developer. If you are going to be a manager, do not try
> > compete with your developers who work with code everyday and do not
 enjoy
> > having to take the time to explain "how did you do that" to a manager
 with
 1
> > or 2 years experience with the language. PM should be a full time
 position
> > not an add on unless you really want to see the project sprial out of
> > control.
> >

> Interesting point. But I have always thought Project Managers needed to
> know SOMETHING about what was going on code-wise...at least to have a
 sense
> of what they can schedule. Also from a management perspective you don't
> want people to be able to BS you on how much time and resources they need
> get a certain job done. You need to know what is possible with the
> technology as well so you don't go promising things you can't fulfill.
>
> The thing is, I really have no interest in project management
 anymore...even
> though I'm very good at it. I'd rather just write code. More fun.
> But...who will hire somebody without practical experience? In today's job
> market practically no-one.
>
> Anyway, just my $0.02

I am not so sure. Although I think you are right in that a PM with some background in the tools may help, I feel that a good PM does not need to know the tools. They need to be able to read people and their estimates. When managing a project a good PM would solicit the developers for estimates of time to complete tasks. True in the early portion of a project there are unknowns and that too is expected. A good PM will be one that manages expectations very well, and keeps the project moving at a decent speed along with updating the expectations. Do not over promise and do a BUNCH of communication with EVERYONE. A good PM will also call things as they see them. If someone is being unrealistic in their estimates or expectations then a good PM would step up and shine light on the fact for everyone to see in order to manage it properly. Also, a good PM will go to bat for their developers and team members when management is calling them on the carpet.

All of this takes someone with more political skills than coding and development skills. Again, having some idea and experience is good but other things are more important for a PM. Just my comments from experience.
Kevin Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 18:18:43 CEST

Original text of this message