Re: job market for oracle developers?

From: RocketMan <rodrick_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:55:17 -0400

Thanks to ED for this post. It's gotten good response and has been very interesting for me to read.

After seeing a lot of these comments, I'll have to ask ED what his short term (1 yr) goals are ? want to be a server (PL/SQL, UNIX), or a Client Developer ( forms, Visual C++, j2ee).

If you've got a year and at least want to be able to work independently, you'll have to choose now. With over 12 years Oracle experience, I've had to choose recently because Oracle has just too many products to try to keep up with. I'm going to stick with mostly server side stuff; DBA, UNIX, JAVA, and one client 9ias Portal. I've got Forms 2/3/4/little 6i, but have decided I've got to leave some things behind if I want to remain competent in an ever changing environment.

Having said that, I've got a top 4 for you in order of easy - difficult:

TOP 4

SQL
PL/SQL
UNIX