Re: Shuting off redo's

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 19 Jul 2002 00:35:53 -0700

bpathakis_at_yahoo.com (Brent) wrote in message news:<1736c3ae.0207180920.45e4a094_at_posting.google.com>...
> vissuyk_at_yahoo.com (Vissu) wrote in message news:<2bedd6a7.0207091941.4303820e_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We have a very large table that we would like to import from old
> > instance to new instance. Since the import is taking a long time, I'd
> > like to shut off the archiving and redo's as below :
> >
> > ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG;
> >
> > ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP;
> >
> > Is it OK if I shut these off ?. What is the worst thing that can
> > happen ? We have the export dump file and are willing to reimport if
> > we run into problems.
> >
> > Any suggestions are appreciated.
> >
> > Vissu
>
> I would use:
> alter table table_name nologging;
>
> That would turn off logging for one table, but not the whole system.
>
> You could turn it of before the export then:
> alter table table_name logging;
>
> When you're done to turn it back on.

Not true.
nologging disables logging for create table as select and direct load operation.
Import is a bunch of ordinary inserts.
The solution above also doesn't work. Basically you can't turn off redolog unless you are using hidden init.ora parameters, in which case you might end with a corrupt database and Oracle won't help you out. Mr. Vissu would better tune redolog and take other measures which have been posted many times here.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:35:53 CEST

Original text of this message