Re: Shuting off redo's

From: Brent <bpathakis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 10:20:10 -0700

vissuyk_at_yahoo.com (Vissu) wrote in message news:<2bedd6a7.0207091941.4303820e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> We have a very large table that we would like to import from old
> instance to new instance. Since the import is taking a long time, I'd
> like to shut off the archiving and redo's as below :
>
> ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG;
>
> ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP;
>
> Is it OK if I shut these off ?. What is the worst thing that can
> happen ? We have the export dump file and are willing to reimport if
> we run into problems.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Vissu

I would use:

    alter table table_name nologging;

  That would turn off logging for one table, but not the whole system.

  You could turn it of before the export then:    alter table table_name logging;

  When you're done to turn it back on. Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 19:20:10 CEST

Original text of this message