Re: ora-04030

From: ellie <ellie_java_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 16:09:17 -0700

Dany.Kattar_at_Pfizer.com (Dany Kattar) wrote in message news:<aea784ba.0207170857.150a16c7_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm trying to run a big query that returns around 120 Million record
> with a group by statment.
> i have oracle 8.1.6 under windows NT and i have 2.5G of RAM. I'm
> receiving this error message
> ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 8192 bytes
> (sort subheap,sort key)
> i tried increasing my SORT_AREA_SIZE but still the same. i tried to
> decrease and the error message changed to
> ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 1170300 bytes
> (cursor work he,kllcqc:kllcqslt)
> i put back the parameters to where they were and now i receive the
> first error message i got.
> can anyone help me...it's very urgent, and it's a report due this
> week..
>
> Thanks for your help..

Increasing the sort_area_size parameter after a specific amount wouldn't be of beneficial. Sorts will be carried out using temporary segments of the user who is running this process. Ensure that you have enought space available in your temporary segments. (e.g. if you have enough disk space make your temporary tablespace maxextent as unlimited) Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 01:09:17 CEST

Original text of this message