memory requirements

From: Tobie Berthon <tberthon_at_adapsys.ca>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 07:09:53 -0700

Hi There,

         We are trying to upgrade our databases from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7. We were having a problem with the server hanging every 24 hours and producing an AIX error. We seem to have got around that by doubling the amount of swap space on the machine from 1G to 2G. We currently have 1G of RAM on the box. My question is this......

         Is 1G of RAM and 2G swap space enough to effectively run our 8 databases in 8.1.7. They range in size from from 300M to 30G in size and have a combined size of roughly 60G total. Oracle tells me to add up all SGA and PGA sizes and see what is required as a bare minimum. We haven't configured java_pools or large pools yet so those numbers would have to be added in. What kind of numbers are you using for RAM and swap compared to your database sizes. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 16:09:53 CEST

Original text of this message