Re: hot back ups of locally managed tablespaces

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:41:53 GMT

Vissu,
Here is a full-featured RMAN backup script I like to use for situations where I am not using a recovery catalog on Oracle 9i (note: this script changes slightly for Oracle 9.2.0):
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/sol_901_32bit_files/in stallgen_sol901_29_.html
RMAN is preferred by Oracle over the Hot Backup method because it generates less redo in the database and you can also throttle the amount of I/O used by RMAN.

If you really want to do hot backups, here is a script I have written and tested with Oracle 9i:
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/sol_901_32bit_files/in stallgen_sol901_33_.html

Each of these backup scripts also produces a disaster_recovery.txt output file to help you keep your database documentation up-to-date in case you need to rebuild the database on a different server in an emergency.

David Simpson