Re: Import error (Users not exist)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 1 Jul 2002 00:40:07 -0700

weng_at_writeme.com (Weng) wrote in message news:<be654711.0206300121.746e618b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a dmp file exported from Oracle 8i database. At first, I tried
> to imp it by sys user for full import, and got error reply saying that
> I must use "DBA_USER" (the one who export the dmp file) to make an
> import. Then I tried to create that user, give DBA role to it, and
> use it to import. However, the result saying that some other users
> doesn't exist, so all the other operations related to those users
> failed, and terminate the import.
>
> I want to know how I can import a full database successfully? Do I
> need to create those users before import? What I can do, since I just
> have the dmp file, and doesn't have any information about username,
> table, tablespace, etc.
>
> Thank you very much for any help.
> Best regards,
> Weng

1 the file you have is an *user* export, *not* a full database export. Full database exports contain 'create user' statements 2 You should be able to use show=y log=<anyfilename> full=y to verify what is in the dmp without problem
3 There was no need to create DBA_USER. Apparently the user exporting has the EXP_FULL_DATABASE privilege. This means your user must have IMP_FULL_DATABASE privilege.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 09:40:07 CEST

Original text of this message