Re: Network Adapter could not... Any hint on what i missed?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:33:30 GMT

Konrad Den Ende wrote:

> I get this error:
> SQLException: I/O-Error: The Network Adapter
> could not establish the connection
>
> What i got is:
> String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:MyOwnDataBase";
> Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection (url, "root", "code");
>
> I have installed Oracles OC4J and according to the test it's supposed
> to be initiated. The code is OK too.
>
> Am i suppose to CREATE the database MyOwnDataBase BEFORE i try
> to create that connection? How do i create that DB?
>
> I appreciate all help so don't hesiate :)
> --
>
> Vänligen
> Konrad
> E-Mail: konrad_at_voxway.com
> Phone: (+46) 0708 - 70 73 92
> ICQ: 132 250 451
What you need to do is provide a lot more information. Whether you need to create a database, or not, is not possible to determine with what you have provided.

Start here:
1. What platform and operating system
2. What version of Oracle, who installed it, were any user schemas created
3. Does the file listener.ora exist under Oracle on the server, with an entry in them that points to the server by name or IP address 4. Does the file tnsnames.ora exist under Oracle on the server withe an entry in them that points to the server by name or IP address 5. Go the the Oracle bin directory and try: lsnrctl status

    What message do you get?
6. Go to the Oracle bin directory and try: svrmgrl

    Then type connect internal
    Then type startup
    What message do you get?

If you have anyone in your organization more senior than you I strongly urge you to ask for help. It seems you are very unfamiliar with Oracle and with that in mind I haven't any idea how you expect to do anything with the database.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 17:33:30 CEST

Original text of this message