Re: Moving Oracle spatial from one database to another

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:20:28 -0600

George -

For future reference, a crosspost to comp.databases.oracle.tools probably wasn't a good idea. That group generally addresses Forms, Reports, Discoverer, etc.

Anyway, I'm getting my feet seriously wet with Oracle Spatial and I have no reason to doubt that simple inserts into user_sdo_geom_metadata will do the trick for you. (I don't have any opinion about inserts into MDSYS.SDO_GEOM_METADATA_TABLE. I tend to insert into the user_sdo_geom_metadata updateable view or the dba_sdo_geom_metadata table directly. Sorry.)

I haven't tried an export of the MDSYS user myself, but why can't you do this? What error message are you getting? Have you tried to export the individual spatially-enabled tables alone? What happens then?

I think that you're on pretty safe ground unless you're using a third-party GIS tool. My group is using ESRI's suite of tools, and there are a number of ESRI tables that are updated whenever spatial data is created. To move data In this
case, the use of ESRI tools is a necessity.

Bye,
Tom