Puzzling transfer delay

From: Alex Gorbachev <alex_at_iss-integration.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:52:13 GMT

A problem we've been trying to uncover for a while with little results:

A large Oracle 8.1.7 DB contains a number of bfiles as archive images. Clients use an 8.0.5 client hard coded into the app. Normally the images get transferred quickly but every once in a while there is a 20 second delay between buffers of an image. We've measured image retrieval time in the PL/SQL module and it's fast. The system is OK on CPU/memory/disk IO. The client confirms that it is waiting for the buffer from the network. Network people tell us they are logging no errors and don't see any problems. Apparently this problem "should not" exist but the users are getting very uncomfortable. Another problem is that the 8.0.5 client does not log timestamps in trace.

Any known problems with binary image transfer over Net8 or maybe anyone out there's run into any bugs with an 8.0.5 client with the 8.1.7 server. I got the standard rap from Oracle to go look for the problem somewhere else and would appreciate any knowledge you could share.

Thanks,
Alex Gorbachev Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 05:52:13 CEST

Original text of this message