Re: to_Char or not to_Char

From: DL <donlcs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 09:52:48 -0700

Will,

Ha, now I see why Sybrand Bakker said "this is a lousy datamodel". My question may not have been clear. What I wanted to do is, for "string" type of data type (char,varchar2,nchar,nvarchar2), use To_char function, so,
for n* string data type, the SQL statement does not have to use N' prefix.
This comes handy, when the program does not have knoledge beforehand of the database schema (structure). Of course, the overhead is to determine data type first.

And certainly, I agree with you on
"you should *only* have numbers in
number columns or strings in string columns or dates in date columns, etc.".

Thanks.

Don