Re: Poor LGWR (redo log) performance

From: Burt Peltier <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:53:52 -0500

My first guess would be that there is a problem with your disk system that REDO is on . The REDO is the hottest file in Oracle and can definitely impact insert performance if on a slow disk system.

Although I haven't worked with 9i yet, I have never seen a REDO log larger than 100Meg. It is possible this is a change in 9i that I am not aware of ? Although I would never take the default (using dbassistant for example) for REDO size, I think in 8i the default was something like 1/2 (.5) Meg.

So, I would also try reducing the REDO log to something like 50Meg.

The trade-off (before 9i anyway) was that larger REDO logs meant less ARCH activity, but possibly longer recovery for things like after a shutdown abort or turning off machine. After a shutdown abort, Oracle has to recover all activity in the current REDO and then rollback activity never committed. So, the worst case is that the REDO is almost full and 500Meg could take a while to recover .