Multiple instance questions

From: Joe Yong <flyingbuick_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2002 11:13:21 -0700

Need some answers in a hurry so if you can provide info on any or all of the following, it'd be really helpful.

  1. What is the maximum number of instances supported? I know it's different for different operating systems so if you know the limits for the common OS platforms (Solaris, NT, AIX, Linux, etc...), please share. Also, please indicate if the limits are theoretical, practical or Oracle supported limits.
  2. Is this different between enterprise edition and standard edition?
  3. How do you license this? Pay per instance or are the additional instances free? There is nothing on this in the partners' licensing guide.

Note that I'm referring to multiple instance with distinct database in each instance but all on the same physical server. I am not talking about OPS or RAC (multi instance, single DB).

Thanks much.

joe. Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 20:13:21 CEST

Original text of this message