Re: sorry but Oracle v SQLServer again

From: Jerason Banes <jbanes_at_techie.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:00:47 GMT

While Jim and Daniel make some excellent points, I'd like to add in my two cents worth from a purely technical standpoint (I don't like politics anyway ;-)). I would tend to caution against Oracle if you are not going to be using it for heavy database processing. Oracle generally requires a good deal of maintenance and babying to keep it in tip-top shape. This is not a failing of the database, but more an acknowledgement of its design as a high-end 24x7 database.

At the same time, I would tend to caution away from SQL Server due to the complete vendor lock-in it produces. If you ever decide to move to another database or another platform (RATHER IMPORTANT, especially if Itaium ever actually catches on), you will probably find it easier to redesign the database from scratch. Even if you decide that you will accept the vendor lock-in, Microsoft is going to make you go through a painful conversion to SQL Server 2007 XP Extreme for Idiots with all kinds of new whiz-bang features that completely replace all the old whiz-bang features.

I cannot comment on Sybase as I haven't used it enough.

Instead, let me introduce another option that works extremely well for small to mid-size databases. A company called Pervasive makes a database called PervasiveSQL. This database is actually very popular, and is used by many companies who are converting their small mainframes to a PC/Unix database. It's also one of the oldest databases in existence. Of course, most people won't recognize the name because it used to be called BTrieve, so make sure you mention that fact and people will be able to tell you about it. The database is fast, scalable, standards compliant, low maintenance and plays nice with other software and databases. Justification is usually not too difficult as many managers have fond memories of using BTreive. You just have to convince them that it's made it into the 21st century. :-)

As for tools, standard ODBC and JDBC tools will work with Pervasive. It comes with a nice set of GUI tools on par with DB2's, only less likely to lock up.

Anyway, that's my 2 1/2 kopeks worth. Take it for what it's worth. Hopefully too many people won't be POed at me for recommending something over Oracle in this group. :-)

Jerason Banes

--
Need a good Database managment solution?