Re: EXPORT File Format

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_alltel.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 09:29:38 -0700

"Tim Smith" <x_at_x.com> wrote in message news:<ufNI8.40293$ux5.47872_at_rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>...
> Is the Export File format in the public domain? If not, is there an export
> api? I am interested in creating custom export dump files, from non-Oracle
> data sources. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
>
> TS

The typical way of exporting from other DBMS to Oracle is to dump text files and load into Oracle using SQL*Loader (or database links or...). Dumping SYBASE to an Oracle export file seems like a very tricky project. Since there always seems to be some column in some table that has a datatype that doesn't match automagically to a single Oracle datatype, there must be some manual intervention in building the new tables in Oracle. So save yourself the trouble of trying to map to a proprietary file format.

Ed Prochak Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 18:29:38 CEST

Original text of this message