Re: 5 year plan advice

From: Will <wkooiman_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 29 May 2002 22:03:07 -0700

theinternetjob_at_onebox.com (Jason Malrick) wrote in message news:<e14bb14d.0205272017.2ddc31ac_at_posting.google.com>...
> Im 21 I work as a nocc tech and my 5 year plan is to be a Oracle DBA.
> Right now im trying to lay the ground work, a Oracle DBA I knew told
> me a while back Unix background is smiled apon. So im in the proccess
> of getting my Solaris Network and System admin certs right now. Im
> looking for advice on what I should learn now to become the best
> Oracle DBA i can be later.
>
> Any recommened books or applications I should learn or languages etc.
> would be appreciated.
>
> Jason

I second the comment on getting experience with programming with Oracle. That's definitely the best route to take.

More people run Oracle databases on Unix than any other platform. That's why it is smiled upon. If you try to get a job in an NT shop, they won't care about your Unix experience. Oh, and it's the most common platform because it runs best on Unix. (not wanting to start a flame war - that's just been my experience)

I've never put much faith in certifications.  I guess that's because
I've seen too many clueless coworkers with lots of certifications.
I'm not saying certifications are bad.  I'm just saying that they only
show that you were willing to spend the time and money to get them. Now, experience as a Unix Sys Admin - that means something.

I don't think there are any good books on Oracle. Every one I've seen has been filled with the same bad advice. It seems like everyone that knows how to write thinks they know how to be an Oracle DBA, and WHAM out pops a book.

Your best bet is to get on an Oracle system and try things out. Get a job writing PL/SQL. When you stop learning, move on.

If you really want to be a DBA, read something by Codd or Date. Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 07:03:07 CEST

Original text of this message